Fire and smoke can quickly destroy property and it can put the structural safety of your home or commercial property in question. Besides the inconvenience of having to deal with the aftermath of a property fire, there is also an intensely stressful emotional aspect of the restoration process. Our team at Restoration 1 understands that you and your loved ones are going through a difficult time. You can trust that we will provide caring, immediate services. Here are some fire safety tips to help you avoid damage to your home.
· Never leave your stove unattended while cooking. With some of us still working from home, this is a big temptation! Stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking and baking.
· Keep your cooking area free of combustible materials. Keep your cooking area clean and clutter-free. Remove anything that can catch fire, such as food packaging, oven mitts, and towels, away from your stovetop.
· Create a kid-free and pet-free zone. Create a space of at least three feet around your stove and other areas where hot food is prepared and be aware of little ones and your pets.
· Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove. This helps avoid accidental bumps or tipped over pots and keeps handles far away from where children can grab them.
· Have a fire extinguisher nearby. Make sure you have the correct type of extinguisher, know how to properly use it, and have it readily accessible.
· Keep cooking equipment clean. Crumbs in a toaster, built-up grease on the stovetop, and excess dust behind your appliances are fire hazards. If these areas aren’t clean, they can accidentally catch on fire.
· Never throw hot grease in the garbage. Let grease cool before disposing of it and never pour grease or oil down the drain.
· Avoid using kitchen appliances if you’re sleepy or have consumed alcohol.
If you should have an incident where smoke and soot belches back into your living space, call Restoration 1 of Fox Valley to remediate the smoke damage caused from your fireplace. Smoke and soot are toxic and should be addressed immediately.