Why Mold Remediation Is Important For Your Pet’s Health

 

Signs Your Pet Has Been Exposed To Mold

Image by Krista Mangulsone via Unsplash.

The negative effects of mold on our health have long been known, but what about its effects on our pets? It wasn’t until recently that researchers found that mold spores can be just as harmful to our pets as they are to us. 

That said, if pets are exposed to mold for a long period of time, the results can be devastating. Therefore, it’s important to take steps to manage the situation the moment you suspect mold has invaded your home.

Learning how to detect the presence of mold in your home early on, how to prevent its spread, and the signs to look out for in your pets can make all the difference.

How Mold Makes Its Way Into Your Home

Mold spores are airborne and can, therefore, enter your home in many ways such as doorways, windows, HVAC systems, and air vents. They can also find their way into your home by attaching themselves to clothing, shoes, and even on the fur of your pets. 

Moreover, mold spores thrive on wet surfaces. Every home is susceptible to moisture issues whether it’s from condensation, high humidity, or water leaks. These problems don’t always lead to mold, but they do require close monitoring to make sure that mold doesn’t develop.

Common areas where mold grows in your home include the kitchen, basement, laundry room, and bathroom. These parts are more susceptible to mold, and often need more mold remediation than other areas, because they are invariably in damp or humid environments.

Signs Your Pet Has Been Exposed To Mold

Pets can encounter mold in many ways. Our pets are notorious for getting into the trash, meaning they could eat moldy food. The ingestion of moldy food can cause stomach upsets and loss of appetite.

Moreover, if you have a mold infestation, mold spores are bound to be hanging around the air. When your pets inhale these spores, it could lead to respiratory issues. It is thought that pets may react to mold spore inhalation in the same way as humans and can suffer from breathing problems, sneezing, and long-term illnesses. Also, just like people, each pet’s reaction may vary to mold. 

The most common symptoms of mold infection in pets are as follows:

  •     Difficulty breathing
  •     Nasal discharge
  •     Coughing
  •     Wheezing
  •     Sneezing  
  •     Lethargy 
  •     Bleeding from the nose or mouth

Furthermore, pets can suffer from allergic reactions when exposed to mold. Signs of these include non-stop scratching, excessive biting, and licking which can cause skin sores or fur loss. 

Luckily, with immediate action, pets can make a full recovery from mold exposure. That’s why it’s so important to see a veterinarian immediately if you notice any of the above signs. Additionally, mold remediation is vital to remove the source of the mold from your home and guard against a recurrence.

Toxic Mold Symptoms In Pets

Black mold is a particularly dangerous type of mold. It produces mycotoxins that can cause cellular death and damage the liver, making mold inspection and remediation crucial. 

Below are signs your pet has been exposed to toxic molds:

  •     Labored breathing
  •     Coughing 
  •     Runny nose and eyes
  •     Excessive scratching and itching
  •     Diarrhea 
  •     Vomiting 
  •     Lameness
  •     Trembling
  •     Convulsions 
  •     Seizures
  •     Behavioral changes

If your pet displays any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately. Also, black mold can lead to pulmonary hemorrhaging – a condition that causes bleeding in the lungs. 

Though black mold is a particularly dangerous kind of mold, prolonged exposure to any kind of mold can lead to critical health issues, including neurological issues like tremors and seizures, organ damage or failure, and can even result in death. 

How To Stop Mold from Invading Your Home

Prevention is key when it comes to keeping your family and pets safe from the invasion of mold and mold spores. Below are some of the precautions you should take to prevent mold invasion.

  •     Keep areas that are prone to moisture exposure well ventilated and dry 
  •     Regularly check all areas of your home for signs (or smells) of mold
  •     Keep an eye out for leaky pipes
  •     Check for condensation around windows and doorways

Besides these measures, if you have any kind of flooding or water damage in your home, make sure you clean and dry the area thoroughly. It’s recommended that you hire water damage restoration experts for a thorough clean up and mold treatment to prevent future mold issues from occurring.

Mold Remediation: Your Best Bet To Remove Mold From Your Home

If you find mold in your home, the first step is to keep your pets away from the infested area. Consider having them stay with a family member, friend, or boarder until you have resolved the situation. 

Having done this, you can attempt to take care of the problem yourself if the affected area is small, but the importance of professional mold remediation cannot be emphasized enough. This is especially true for the following cases:

  •     If the area is bigger than 10 square feet
  •     If mold spores have found their way into the air conditioning or venting systems
  •     If mold has found its way into hard to reach areas
  •     If you suspect you have hidden mold
  •     If exposure to mold worsens any existing medical conditions you or your family may have

Restoration 1 can take care of all your professional mold remediation needs. Our restoration professionals are IICRC-certified and have been in the business of restoring damaged residential and commercial properties for over a decade. 

Do you suspect your pets are reacting to a mold allergy or think you have a mold problem in your home? Contact Restoration 1 today to speak with a mold remediation expert.