Everyone agrees that a rapid response to water damage cleanup is of the utmost importance. But why, what difference can a few hours make? The experts agree that the first 24 to 48 hours are essential for the prevention not only of permanent damage – as the surroundings absorb more and more water – but the growth of toxic microbials too. You definitely don’t want mold and bacteria growing in your home!
That’s why you need the water damage experts at Restoration 1 in as soon as possible. We will assess the extent of your damage and begin with mold remediation as soon as possible. There are a lot of things involved with mold remediation, from water extraction and removing wet building materials to hauling in the drying equipment and dehumidifiers.
And so, the sooner water damage is taken care of, the less likely it is that your property will have permanent damage.
What you need to know about mold after water damage
- Even immaculate clean properties can experience mold issues, so don’t worry, it’s not an
indication of your cleanliness or hygiene. Floodwaters or leaking water also carry additional mold spores.
- The growth of mold is quickest on wood products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, carpets, drywall, fabric, plants, foods, insulation, and other organic materials.
- Unseen areas where mold can often hide include ductwork, heating, ventilation systems, roofing, wall sheathing, crawlspaces, the undersides of flooring, wall cavities.
- Not all mold is harmful; there is a subset of hazardous mold which includes black mold. The non-dangerous kind smells bad, degrades your air quality, destroys materials, and it can encourage viruses and bacteria.
- Mold is not like the patches of mildew you see in your shower that can just be easily wiped off, only professionals can tell if it’s dangerous or not, and how to prevent it from recurring.
Our Process of Removing Mold
At Restoration 1 we understand the science behind mold and mold growth. We are trained professionals with experience in how best to remediate the mold in your property. We aim to get the mold levels in your property back to standard, so that you can get your life back to normal. Although every mold situation may be different, how we tackle the process is the same.
- Communication – Give us a call, and we’ll come around and assess the situation immediately.
- Inspection – We will run an assessment of your property, firstly, for any visible signs of mold and then we will use our professional equipment to detect hidden mold and potential unseen water sources causing the mold.
- Isolation – We use different procedures to isolate the infected area with barriers and negative air pressure. This will keep the mold from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Drying – We will take moisture readings in all affected areas throughout the drying process, only once it is confirmed to be dry will we start to repair the water damage. We
will continue to monitor the moisture in any hidden areas to ensure everything is all dry and no further microbial growth is possible.
- Filtration – Specialized equipment will be used to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. The use of air scrubbers will help prevent the spread of the spores while mold remediation is in process.
- Treatment – To eliminate mold colonies, we will use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments. This will also help prevent new ones from forming.
- Cleanup – All infected materials will be disposed of, and we will start with cleaning and removing any odors from your furniture, furnishings, and other restorable items that have been affected by mold.
- Restoration – This process may include minor restorations such as replacing drywall, repainting walls, and installing new carpets, or you might be in for some major repairs like the reconstruction of various areas of the property.
If you’re facing water damage to your property, make sure you don’t forget there is always more than meets the eye. The invisible problem of mold can be far-reaching. And this is why it is vital that mold remediation starts as soon as possible.
When you discover mold in your home, don’t try and handle it yourself with the cleaning products you have at hand. Rather, call your local Restoration 1 for 24/7 mold remediation. We’ll send a team of IICRC-certified mold experts straight away!