Every year, over 350,000 house fires are reported across the country. These annual fires result in over 2,500 deaths, 11,600 fire-related injuries, and nearly $6.5 billion in property damage.
The consequences of a mishap in the kitchen, where fires are most common, can be devastating and long-lasting. The risk of a fire is present in every single home in America. It’s time we all took the risk seriously and started taking precautions each day.
Top Causes of House Fires
The key to home fire prevention is knowing the top causes of house fires across the country. By taking steps to protect yourself, your loved ones, and your possessions, you can reduce the risk of a house fire significantly.
Let’s explore the top causes of house fires according to the National Fire Protection Association, as well as how you can avoid them:
- Cooking – Cooking remains the number one cause of house fires throughout the whole country. Even leaving the stove unattended for a short period of time can lead to a significant fire. While cooking, it is recommended to be watchful, keep the stovetop clear, and prevent children or pets from messing around.
- Smoking – For many, smoking a cigarette after a long day is a relaxing ritual. Unfortunately, many smoke in the comfort of their bed, where dropping a lit cigarette can have dire consequences. Every year, countless homes go up in flames due to cigarettes falling on flammable bedding.
- Heating – Mishaps with a home’s heating system account for many house fires each year. In fact, according to FEMA, heating fires make up around 16 percent of all house fires in the United States. Usually, these fires stem from space heaters, which are highly flammable and easily overloaded. A malfunctioning furnace can also spark and cause problems.
- Electrical – A faulty electrical system, frayed wiring, or an overloaded circuit board can leave your home in smoldering ashes. You’ll want to note the wattage in your home and the current state of your electrical system to prevent short-circuiting or sparking.
- Fireplace – A fireplace is enjoyable during the winter, but often quite dangerous. Any sparks or embers from an uncovered fireplace can travel across the length of the room and catch nearby flammable objects on fire, such as curtains, clothing, or carpeting.
If your home has been impacted by a fire, contact a local Restoration 1. We have offices across the country with highly experienced and equipped teams ready to tackle fire damage and smoke odor contamination.
For 24-hour fire damage restoration and guaranteed results, please call Restoration 1 at any hour. We are here day or night to ensure you have relief and peace of mind!