Mold found anywhere in your home makes for a less than ideal situation. Of course, mold is absolutely everywhere. It’s in the air we breathe and on our clothing. Most often, mold is not a problem unless you have a severe allergy already. But, when we endure water damage or have high humidity or moisture caused by poor ventilation, that’s when mold becomes a problem. Before long, those harmless mold spores settle down on the surfaces in your home and lead to an infestation. You’ll need to watch for these telltale signs, then schedule prompt mold remediation services.
Common Signs of Mold Growth
If you notice any of the most common signs of mold growth in your home, don’t hesitate to schedule mold remediation from professionals.
- A wet or unpleasant odor around your home, specifically in a centralized location, often means mold has settled down somewhere nearby.
- Moisture is one of the most significant contributing factors to mold in any environment. If you have moisture or high humidity levels, it’s likely causing mold to grow somewhere. Start by checking in the basement, attic, or crawlspace – anywhere water may be found leaking.
- If you or your family experience allergy-like symptoms, such as an asthma attack, trouble breathing, eye and throat irritation, or coughing, it’s generally mold.
- Seeing the physical aspect of a mold infestation is a sure sign you need professional help. However, mold is sometimes hard to spot, so knowing what to watch for, including dark patches and fuzzy growths, can make a huge difference.
- If you have recently endured water damage or flooding caused by weather, plumbing, or an appliance, there is an increased risk of mold growth.
Mold Effects on Your Health
A large mold infestation is capable of negatively affecting your health. You are likely not the only one to be affected, though. Your children, pets, and anyone elderly in the home will likely be far worse off over time – children and the elderly especially.
Some of the most common health effects of mold exposure include wheezing, rashes, watery eyes, runny nose, itchy eyes, coughing, redness, throat and eye irritation, long-term respiratory disease, and even an increased risk of certain types of cancer or heart disease.
If you suspect mold is the cause of your current health concerns, it’s best to schedule prompt, 24-hour mold remediation services. You’ll also want to visit your family doctor to address any health concerns, especially difficulty breathing or throat irritation.
If you discover any of the telltale signs of mold in your home, contact your local Restoration 1 for 24-hour mold remediation and inspection services. A team will arrive within an hour of your call and begin the remediation process immediately.