As hurricane season comes flying in, all the swirling weather reports bring with them flooding rains and storm damage. And, since these disasters are becoming more and more likely, it’s essential that businesses smarten up about their pre-storm prep. Does your company have an Emergency Preparedness Plan?
Planning for hurricane season and other potential disasters can be stressful. At Restoration 1, we offer businesses the service of putting together a plan for when a disaster hits. Not only will an Emergency Preparedness Plan help by lessening potential storm damage, but it will help lead the process of planning appropriate measures for your business from start to finish.
Why Have an Emergency Preparedness Plan?
- Having a plan to follow will help your staff get to safety and keep your business’ assets protected where possible.
- An EPP will help your business to secure fast, professional, targeted responses when you are faced with business storm damage.
- The plan is tailor-made for your business and will include operations information, emergency contacts, preferred suppliers, and other details your team will need.
- An EPP will give all involved a sense of security as they have a clear chain of command to follow, knowledge of who will perform emergency functions, and specific evacuation procedures and routes to follow if this is necessary.
Preventative Steps to Take
- Be proactive by storm-proofing your properties; repairing roofs, anchoring gutters, strengthening doors and windows, ensuring adequate drainage, etc.
- Ensure all critical equipment and systems are able to be moved in an emergency if they cannot already be stored on higher ground.
- Ensure you have backups of essential data and important documents, and reallocate inventory and equipment where necessary.
- Ensure key staff are able to work remotely.
- Educate and train your staff with regards to what is included in the Emergency Preparedness Plan, including response drills to understand how the plans will work.
When the Hurricane is on its Way
- Secure the exterior by bringing in all outside furniture and loose equipment or secure outdoor objects with rope and burlap if they cannot be brought inside.
- Nail plywood to window frames if you don’t have storm shutters already installed.
- Check all wall hangings and art are secure.
- Move vehicles to higher ground, away from trees and power lines.
- Make sure all power sources are ready – fuel in the gas tank, cell phones charged, generators are working, etc.
- Unplug and move appliances from windows and doors.
- Get your emergency kit prepped or checked if you already have one. Flashlights, portable radio, extra batteries, non-perishable food, bottled water, cash, blankets, etc.
- Choose a shelter room in case you are unable to evacuate. Make sure it’s a place away from windows and doors.
Choose Restoration 1 to help your business come up with an Emergency Preparedness Plan or to mitigate storm damage and put you on a speedy path to recovery after a problem arises.
Since rain is often your number one problem after a hurricane has hit, the water damage experts at Restoration 1 are your best bet. There is no way to perform safe and successful water restoration without training. And, with all the expenses of water damage restoration remediation, it does not pay to do it yourself.
There is no substitute for professional restoration experts. It may be possible to restore some of the storm damage on your own – but the bigger problems are better left to the experts.
Play it safe. Call the professionals at Restoration 1.
If you have any questions about water damage restoration, please contact us 24/7 at Restoration 1.