Restoration 1 of Mid-Cities wants to help you avoid Fire Damage in your home and business. Follow the tips below from the NFPA, to identify faulty wiring and prevent fire damage.
Facts & Figures
- There is a house fire in the US every ten seconds.
- Home fires can spread in less than 30 seconds.
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires.
- More than 15,000 home fires per year are caused by dryers. Be sure to clean vents at least once a year
Remember: In the event of a home fire. GET OUT. STAY OUT. CALL FOR HELP.
Maintain your home’s electrical system to prevent fires that occur when wire insulation dries out, switches become loose, and systems overheat due to dirt, soil, or dust. Be sure to have your electrical systems checked by a licensed electrician every 4 years.
Faulty wiring in the #1 cause for electrical fires in the US. Here are some warning signs:
- Flickering lights
- Breakers that constantly trip
- Fuses that blow
- A burning smell when you plug in appliances
- Outlets and switches that spark
- Discoloration of wall outlets
If a faulty electrical system does cause a fire, you can double your chance of survival when you have working smoke alarms. For this reason, install smoke detectors on every floor of your home and replace their batteries twice a year. Twenty percent of homes have smoke detectors that do not work or have dead batteries. Don’t be one of them!
Be aware of these risks, and act in accordance to prevent the possibility of a home fire disaster!